About the SSBPPE Commission
Role of the Commission
“There shall be established the Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Product Panel of Experts to make recommendations on how and to what extent the City should establish and/or fund programs to reduce the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages in Berkeley and to address the effects of such consumption.”
Makes recommendations to City Council to fund;
- Berkeley Unified School District's cooking and gardening programs.
- Community agency programs.
- Staffing positions for the Healthy Berkeley program.
- Program evaluation initiatives,
- Public forum and education campaigns,
- Research and policy to reduce consumption of sugary beverages.
Each member of the Commission must be a Berkeley resident, and have expertise in any of the following;
- Community-based food and nutrition,
- School-based nutrition programs and referred by BUSD,
- Early childhood nutrition education,
- Public health research or evaluation,
- Licensed medical practitioner.
List of Commissioners
Each City Council member and the Mayor appoint a Commissioner from their district:
- Iramis Kouromenos - District 1
- Xavier Morales* - District 2
- Jennifer Browne** - District 3
- Holly Scheider - District 4
- Bobbie Rose - District 5
- Pat Crawford - District 6
- Joyce Moore - District 7
- Poki Namkung - District 8
- Adena Ishii - Mayor
* = Chair ** = Vice-Chair Read more (pg. 34)
- Julie Sinai (3.2015 - 7.2016)
- Nancy Fenstermacher (3.2015 - 10.2017)