The City of Berkeley's Public Health Division is proud to launch the Healthy Berkeley Program website (formerly known as the Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Program). The purpose of this website is to provide the public with additional information about the City's distribution of funding allocations to support community- and school-based strategies for reducing the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages and raising awareness about the harmful health impacts of sugar-sweetened beverages in children, youth, and adults in Berkeley. The City's strategies for reducing the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages and its impact on type 2 diabetes, obesity, and tooth decays in Berkeley include the following initiatives:
- Taxing the distribution of sugar-sweetened beverages in Berkeley
- Establish a Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Product Panel of Experts (SSBPPE) Commission
- Fund community- and school-based initiatives to reduce the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages in Berkeley
- Organize direct public education including mass media campaign
- Collaborate with other jurisdictions and community partners.